Wednesday, September 17, 2014

More Tests



On Tuesday, September 16th, I went into the Battle Building to see Dr Dunsmore. She told us about the chemo and about the drugs I will take. The CAT scan showed that I have cancer in my spleen. My parents had to sign a lot of papers. She's been one of the best doctors in the US for 5 years running. She owns a Mercedes 350, and she's a car nut. She visited Italy - she was going to go to the Ferrari factory, but she went to the opera instead.
Me with Dr Dunsmore



Then I had a little more blood work done. They had the PET scan first. It felt long, but it was only 20 minutes long. It's a big tube like the CT scan, but it takes more pictures of your body. I couldn't eat for the day before, and then I had a drink. The drink didn't taste good. It takes separate pictures of your whole body, then it forms a photo to see where the cancer is at.

Me in the PET scanner

They gave me radioactive fluorine-18 and barium before the PET scan.
The echocardiogram is like ultrasounds used with pregnant women. They put a gel and then this rub this thing on your chest. It's an ultrasound of your heart. We could see the aorta.

The EKG is where they tape electrodes to your chest. It was done in a minute.

The PFT is a test to measure breathing capacity and the oxygen in your lungs. You had to take a couple of deep breaths and then let it out slowly but consistently until you're out of breath, then take another big breath. You put your mouth on the machine and they clamp your nose.

PFT (Pulmonary Function Test)


On Wednesday morning, September 17th, I had another biopsy. They put me under again for half an hour.

Ms Herman is one of my favorite teachers from 6th grade. I was in her science class. She came to my house with her husband on Monday night for dessert.


At this point the cancer is in either stage 3 or 4. The PET scan and bone marrow test will show which one. The good news is that Hodgkin's is treatment-responsive at any stage.

I'll be in the hospital until late on Friday at the earliest. I have 3 days of chemo this week, then off until chemo on Wednesday, then off a week after that, then I start back. Someone will come in tomorrow and help me do work in personal finance and other classes that I'm way behind in.

The view from my window in the UVA hospital.



7 comments:

  1. Hang in there Marcos! We're all praying for you! It's great to get your blog first hand!

    Love you!

    Aunt Lori & Uncle Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marcos! I'm so glad to hear you have such a wonderful doctor! Hang in there and stay positive. Thanks for updating your blog. Everybody in Creative Arts class was asking how you were doing today. They miss you! Don't worry too much about getting behind in your classes. Your teachers will understand, and the most important thing is that you focus on getting better which I know you will. Stay strong!
    Mrs. McLaughlin (Miss P)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Marcos! Just want to let you know that our family is praying for you and loves the updates! Keep your spirits up!!

    -The Nelsons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who took your pics at the Pet scan?
    I love your view from the window...but where is the traffic?
    Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Marcos. You've just become my new personal hero. This blog is absolutely terrific, and you're an inspiration. I wish we had all been able to see you in Minnesota again this summer. Hang in there, and please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blog Marcos! Thank you so much for keeping us all updated on what is going on. The Wenger family is rooting for you and keeping you in our hearts and prayers.

    By the way, knowing how much you love cars and remembering the many times on campouts we talked about cars, I wanted to let you know that I am going to a collectible car show down in North Carolina this weekend- I will take some pictures of some cool cars and send them to you. Are there any cars you would like me to be on the look out for so I can send you some pictures?

    Mr. Wenger

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Marcos!
    This is Dr. Walters. I have been missing you in the hallways. What a generous, thoughtful thing you are doing having a blog. I am so glad to be able to see how you are doing. Please come by when you are back at CHS so that we can chat and maybe have some lunch.

    ReplyDelete